perrinpring

Perrin Pring

I'm a sci-fi writer and reader, although, let's be honest - I'll read just about anything that moves me, regardless of the genre.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Ellen Forney, Sherman Alexie

I read Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian in a single sitting. I'd not heard anything about it before going in, but once I got started, I couldn't put it down.

About Spokane Indian and smart teenager, Junior, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, chronicles Junior's life as he decides to go to school in the mostly white and affluent high school 22 miles outside of the rez. Written with humor and an incredible amount of insight into what makes us human, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian worth your while.

Alexie bridges the divide between his Indian readers and everyone else in a graceful, funny, and rare way. It is a gifted writer who can broach the emotional topic of the poverty of most Indian reservations vs. the affluence of the surrounding white communities and make his readers consider everyone's view without resentment. I walked away from the book with a better understanding of not only a world that I have never seen first hand (tribal communities) but a better understanding of the human condition. As a reader, I rooted for Junior, as well as his peers and family, both Indian and white.

This is one of those books that while yes, is great for young adult readers, should not be missed by those who have aged out of that demographic. As powerful, if not more so, as The Perks of Being a Wallflower, this is book worth the read. Junior's story will enrich you. Don't miss out.