perrinpring

Perrin Pring

I'm a sci-fi writer and reader, although, let's be honest - I'll read just about anything that moves me, regardless of the genre.

The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

To begin, this is not a light book. That being said, it is a very good book, but not a light book. If you were confused about that, I just wanted to set the record straight.

Set in Vietnam during the Vietnam war, O'Brien shares a series of short war stories that link together to form a novel. At first, it's easy to accept these stories as truth and assume the book to be a work of non-fiction rather than of fiction. As the novel progresses though, O'Brien impresses upon his reader the importance of a 'war story' and why it doesn't always matter if it's true.

Blending truth and the essence of truth, O'Brien takes his readers on a journey reminiscent to Erich Maria Remarque's, All Quiet on the Western Front - a World War One novel that reads like truth. This is an anti-war book that makes no bones about how addicting warfare really is. This book isn't just about the lives of a few American soldiers during the Vietnam war. It's about the human condition and how life isn't simple enough to fit into two categories - good and evil.

I highly recommend this book, and the above mentioned All Quiet on the Western Front. You will be a better person for reading this book, no matter how hard it is to do so.